Over the years, we have all been warned of the dangers of playing with electricity and touching electrical outlets as it can lead to shock or death. Despite these warnings, some may still be tempted to find out what will happen if they stick their finger in these outlets. Well, the truth is, many end up in emergency rooms and worse, due to touching electrical outlets or incurring electrical shocks in any way. Still curious? Well, here’s a bit about what can happen to those who play with electricity.
What to Expect When You Stick Your Finger in Electrical Outlets
Although we may not look it, humans are excellent conductors of electricity. That’s because the human body is made up of 70% water. Electricity is always looking for a quick and simple path to run through, and the human body is an excellent source. In fact, it can run through your body in a matter of seconds.
If you are the victim of electric shock, you can expect any number of symptoms, some more severe than others. These include:
- Muscle spasms and fatigue
- Difficulty breathing
- Severe burns at points where the electricity ran through the body
- Vision loss
- Hearing loss
- Brain damage
- Respiratory arrest or failure
- Cardiac arrest
What to Do in The Case of Electrical Shock
In the case that you do find yourself in a situation where someone has been injured by contact with electricity, it is important to know what to do. First, do not touch the person. They may still be conducting electricity and you may get shocked by touching them. Rather, you should quickly move the person away from the electrical outlet or other source of electricity using an object that is a non-conductor. A towel or a broom handle will work. Don’t forget to turn off the source of electricity.
Medical help should be called in immediately. If the person seems not to be breathing, conduct CPR. Prevent the person from becoming chilled. Apply a bandage to any burned areas. Use a sterile gauze or clean cloth. Avoid using a blanket or towel that has loose fibers that may stick to the burns.\
Avoid Electrical Shock
Of course, the best plan of action against electrical shock is prevention. If there are small children in the house, you can prevent shocks by using plastic caps to cover electrical outlets. You might also consider getting tamper resistant electrical outlets installed. These may be a better option since children can remove the plastic caps. Many houses come equipped with these tamper resistant outlets, but if you have an older house, you can upgrade your system by having them installed.
Every year, approximately 4,000 people visit emergency rooms to get treated for injuries related to electrical shocks. Although it is difficult to completely eliminate it from happening, knowing what to do to prevent them and knowing how to treat them can be key in keeping these statistics low. Educate young children on the dangers of sticking their fingers in electrical outlets and use safety precautions to keep your household safe!
This blog is made available for educational purposes ONLY, and is not intended to provide any advice as to product selection, specifications, or appropriate uses. We assume no liability for any loss or damage resulting from one’s reliance on the material provided. Please note that such material is not updated regularly and that some of the information may not be current. We do not control or endorse and are not responsible for third-party websites linked herein.